[Ovmsdev] Nissan Leaf, GPIO and "Stop Charging", "Lock/Unlock" commands.

Robin O'Leary ovmsdev at caederus.org
Wed Aug 29 16:02:55 HKT 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 09:16:04PM -0500, Brian Greenberg wrote:
> I picked up a 2015 Leaf about 3 weeks ago, and found this project a few
> days later.  My 3.1 hardware should arrive from FastTech this week.  I've
> been browsing through the git repos and manuals, and hope to make some
> small contributions in the future.
>
> How  interested are you devs in code contributions that require hardware
> modifications to the vehicle?  :)

I have the same model as you and I am interested experimenting in this
direction.

> Two things that I am interested in are remotely toggling the door locks,
> and stopping/disabling an ongoing charge.  Neither are currently supported
> functions in the Leaf, as (if it is possible at all) the codes are
> unknown.

Did you see this thread about door locks?

	http://lists.openvehicles.com/pipermail/ovmsdev/2018-May/005165.html

It works for some, but not for me, though I still haven't got around to
trying it with the TCU unplugged (mostly because I haven't figured out
where the TCU is on my right-hand drive model!).

As for charging, I suspect it'll be easy to find some CAN message(s)
that will cause it to stop; the problem might be that doing so triggers
some fault detection that could also upset things.  But we have lots of
logs to get ideas from, so it's certainly worth having a go.

> ...  Three GPIO assignments and three
> opto isolated 12V relays should easily enable the desired functionality.
>
> Assuming I can walk this walk, would there be interest in the code?  This
> would be a bit more involved than the single wire connection between the
> OVMS module and the TCU that is needed to enable the vehicle wake up signal
> on 2011 and 2012 models.....

That would be great; it seems like there should be generic functions
to deal with the ESP32's GPIO pins (things like switch on/off, toggle
for n milliseconds); that the vehicle-specific layer could just call
as required.