[Ovmsdev] V3 CAN frames missing last four data bytes

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed Oct 25 17:18:16 HKT 2017

That’s the sort of thing RE is supposed to help with.

First stage is getting a baseline set of normal messages. For that we need to know how things are keyed. Then you put it in a mode where it ignores all those baseline messages and only tells you about anything new it finds on the bus. It can also be extended to show those new messages in real time. So, press a button in the car, and immediately see the new message appear as a trace style message. Something like this is great for finding out what message is sent when the heater is turned on, for example. I used it (in can-re-tool) for reverse engineering the roadster VDS command messages.

Long-term, that leads on to the discussion of a vehicle database with labels saying message keyed by X, byte Y, bits Z1-Z4, type W, is the TPMS pressure. If that could be extended in real time on the car, it becomes a very powerful tool. The database documents all that is known, maps to metrics, and shows what is yet to be discovered. Uploaded in real time to the cloud, for others to benefit.

But, work will need to be done to extend the base I’ve put in just now. Use cases like your should drive that.

RE on the module is really just for quick dirty investigations, though. We also need to be able to just get full CAN bus dumps and export those out for offline analysis.

I suspect for TPMS, you’re not going to see anything until a tpms reset tool is put on the network to upload tire sensor ids to the tpms module. But that is on the K-Line bus, so not sure if you are going to see anything on CAN.

Regards, Mark