[Ovmsdev] V3 size and arrangement

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at audiobanshee.com
Sat May 20 12:47:57 HKT 2017

I'm a bit of an odd customer. I have both the V1 and V2, but have never activated a SIM for either of them. My interest is in discovering what is on the CAN bus, and having a familiar programming platform like the PIC as a way to investigate. I'm perfectly willing to use on-board storage and read out the data manually rather than hassle with activation, accounts, and periodic payments.

For me, the main advantage of the V3 is the second CAN bus. I imagine that adding a second CAN connector necessarily makes the V3 larger than the V1 & V2, but it's worth it for that feature. I'm personally less interested in having two expansion boards, especially if the second expansion makes the case significantly larger than it would be just for the second CAN bus connector.

Then again, I may be the only customer not interested in the SIM communications abilities. If I ever get a stable firmware and stop investigating, then I probably would jump on a SIM and enable remote data gathering.

My application is the Tesla Roadster, so I have similar size constraints as Stephen and others.

Brian

p.s. The upgrade from PIC to ARM is a welcome advantage. I'm familiar enough with PIC to not count that processor as much of a negative, but ARM is a solid positive feature. I'm currently working on a Texas Instruments (Stellaris) Cortex-M4 for another design project.