[Ovmsdev] ODB CAN message decoder?

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 11:26:35 HKT 2017

Hi Tom,

Fixed!

Thanks for your reply.  Did some more digging into the packets, and got
even more convinced that what I'm seeing was not real.  That gave me a
clue to look elsewhere, and in doing so, discovered that the CAN bus on
the bench wasn't properly terminated (a missing jumper).  Once I fixed
that, I started seeing packets with an ID of 0x7DF, which IS listed in
the documentation.  YEA!  Data portion is 02 01 00 00 00 00 00 00, which
I decode as length = 2 bytes,  1 = "Show Current Data", which makes
perfect sense.  I guess the length includes the itself.

I also see packets that I don't see info on, ID = 0x18DB33F1 and others,
so there may still be work to do, but at least I now have some sense of
sanity.  They all have the same data (02 01), so apparently a different
version (manufacturer?) of the same request.  {shrug}  Going to ignore
them for now.

Next step is to craft some sort of reply to the data request, and see
what happens.

BTW, Wireshark and candump do agree on the Identity portion of the CAN
traffic, so it appears that I'm was not seeing an endian issue.  Great
try, however; never thought of that.  Add terminators to your mental
troubleshooting list.

Thanks again for the help.  Progress!

Greg.