[Ovmsdev] SIM808 not communicating

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Jul 23 05:03:35 HKT 2016

On 22/07/16 21:17, Tom Parker wrote:
> On 22/07/16 18:38, Michael Balzer wrote:
>
>> You can use the diag mode to send an SMS manually. Note: the 808 does
>> not echo LF, only CR.
>
> I'll try that out.

I couldn't make SMS work while interactively typing the AT commands. I
did manage to send "null" to my phone a few types even though the body
of the message was not the letters n u l l nor empty, but most of the
messages failed to send.

I tried a different SIM card, one for the Vodafone New Zealand network
and this worked fine. The SIM card that can't send text messages is a
2degrees SIM card.

I also found why GPRS wasn't working, I had the wrong username for my
ovms server account! I after I corrected that username GPRS works on the
2degrees network as well (but SMS still doesn't work).

So it would seem the SIM808 isn't fully compatible with the 2degrees
network in New Zealand?