[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 - Microcontroller

Arthur Hebert ahebert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 03:28:44 HKT 2016

Speaking of modularity, how about having 1 or 2 CAN buses standard
built-in, and additional CAN buses being optional add-ons? The additional
CANs could be MCP2515 based via SPI, like
http://www.mikroe.com/click/can-spi-3.3v/.

With plenty of speed, flash, RAM and I/O pins, the software can tidily
abstract the SPI comms so that CAN rx/tx functions appear the same whether
built-in or module-based.

The advantage I see is that it doesn't constrain the primary MCU selection
so much, and there are plenty of options available today. Many people will
be happy with 1 or 2 CAN channels, and those who want 6 CAN channels will
happily pay an extra $100 for the additional hardware.

-Arthur