[Ovmsdev] Open API

Robert Sharpe robert.sharpe at evergreen-consulting.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 03:56:43 HKT 2016

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and questions, they have helped to steer the OVP project.

I have answered some of your general questions on the forum at
See more about the vision for the group
How do you think OVP would be implemented?

One example of how it could work is to consider how our own EV route planning app and OVMS might interact.  As you might expect initially the vehicles supported will be those that are most common.  If our route planner communicates to the cars via OVP, then someone with a rare car could make an software adapter to convert from OVP to say OVMS and use the route planner with OVMS.  That would benefit both products.

As regards how OVMS could support OVP, there are a couple of options that come to mind
someone develops an OVMS<->OVP adapter or
OVMS supports OVP in addition to its current API directly

In reality OVMS is also driving a standard by a direct need.  Hence, I was pleased that you joined the LinkedIn group.  Between us and other visionary people I am sure we can develop a defacto standard that will eventually be widely used and benefit everyone.

I don't think lack of manufacturer involvement in the OVP standard will make things any thing more difficult than it is now.  For example, currently

      [third party app communicates with and used manufacturer's API] ----> [specific manufacture's server]

but using OVP

      [third party app communicates with generic OVP server] ----> [OVP server which handles the communication with] --> [specific manufacture's server]

So how could this cause problems?

Thanks again for your input.  Hopefully this has clarified things a little.  Although I started OVP it is better if it grows as a community.  It would therefore be great to hear your suggestions on the linkedin group and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,
Rob

---- On Mon, 01 Feb 2016 05:18:37 +0000 Mark Webb-Johnson <mark at openvehicles.com> wrote ----

Robert,

Interested, but really no idea what you are trying to do here.

It would be wonderful if there was a standardised vehicle protocol, and all the manufacturers complied to that (both on the vehicle and App sides), but I just don’t see it happening. They seem to love their walled gardens, and hardly ever allow anyone in. Those who do sneak over the walls run the risk of being thrown out at any time. Hoping that they all contribute to a common park is great, but unlikely to happen.

Too negative?

Or am I missing something?

Perhaps you can explain in more details what you are building?

Regards, Mark.

P.S. If a standard existed, OVMS would adhere to it. We only rolled our own because there was nothing out there already.