[Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Fri May 23 06:44:56 HKT 2014

Does the transfer to OCM happen from the OVMS server or from the smartphone
app?

It seems to me like it should happen on the smartphone. I'm charging. I want
to send in the data. The first step would be to authorize sharing the data,
which sends it to the OVMS sever, now publicly accessible to anyone. Next,
OCM code on the smartphone runs to see if it has a single matching site,
multiple nearby sites, or no nearby site. Depending on how that turns out, I
need to either confirm the correct site, choose from a list of candidates,
or create a new site if none seems like a match. Once the (possibly new)
site is confirmed, then the data goes to OCM associated with that site. That
conversation can't easily happen as a post process on the server.

This could get interesting in multiple dimensions. Maybe another map vendor
wants to add support to OVMS, so the user can choose OCM or PlugShare, or
whatever. Or maybe choose multiple. Or it could happen the other way around:
another map vendor integrates the OVMS API into their app.

It seems complicated to do this on the server side, requiring server
integration with each vendor. That's messy and presents new surfaces for
security exploits. If it is done on the OVMS server, it seems perfectly
reasonable to me to have an API that says "tell me about all of the charging
station reports since <date of last query>." That seems easier to secure and
more flexible, but does still have the problem of dealing with mapping
reports to site IDs potentially from multiple different map vendors.

As an aside, PlugShare is already experimenting with adding the ability to
add voltage/amperage info to their database via a special version of their
web site that appears when the user agent is the Model S browser.

   Tom