[Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Lee Howard lee.howard at mainpine.com
Fri May 23 05:30:40 HKT 2014

On 05/22/2014 12:46 AM, Paul Churchley wrote:
> This is not a database transfer, or a bulk data load, which would
> functionally be initiated by OCM. It is an individual checking in at a
> single location and so shouldn't we use the same process... OVMS sends
> the data to OCM via the OCM API? Which userid is used to access OCM is
> clear to me... it is OVMS that is the source and so there must be a
> single user in OCM through which OVMS intefaces with the OVMS user id
> perhaps passed to OCM perhaps as a comment or in one of the other API
> data fields that makes sense.

This is my preferred default method, as well, as it will permit an OVMS
user to add data to OCM without their own account with OCM. This will
encourage contribution as requiring individual accounts serves only as a
barrier to contribution.

However, Chris makes a valid point, then, that it would be difficult (if
not impossible) for the OVMS user who may have their own OCM account to
make edits to their own contributions to the OCM database.  For this
reason I think it is reasonable to permit the OVMS user to supply an
identification PIN or key from their OCM account to the OVMS server so
that OVMS would interact with OCM using the specified OCM account
instead of the general OVMS account with OCM.

However, by default OVMS should use a general account until the OVMS
user supplies OCM identity information, of course.

Thanks,

Lee.

--
*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Chief Technology Officer*