[Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Lee Howard lee.howard at mainpine.com
Thu May 22 01:04:59 HKT 2014

Hello Mark, Chris, and other OVMS users and developers...

I am happy with all of Mark's outline with only one point for debate.
Admittedly, I am new to OpenChargeMap API and OVMS programming, and so
maybe I simply don't understand how things work, but...

As the OVMS server will be performing the OpenChargeMap API on behalf of
the partner instead of the portable app performing the OpenChargeMap API
(more-directly in the control of the partner)... is it really necessary
for the OVMS server to masquerade as the partner... using their identity
for authentication with OpenChargeMap?

I'd prefer to avoid requiring the user to set-up an independent account
with OpenChargeMap and then permit OVMS to operate on behalf of that
newly-created account. Could not the OVMS server simply use its own
account (for everyone) and simply provide an information field about the
identification of the OVMS user?

My primary interest here is in making it as simple as possible for the
OVMS user to opt-in. Requiring them to sign up with OpenChargeMap and
provide a PIN or key from the account is an additional step that will
prove to be a barrier for users that are willing to opt-in as long as it
is merely as easy as a button-press.

Thanks,

Lee.

--
*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Chief Technology Officer*