[Ovmsdev] changing android app server IP

Lee Howard lee.howard at mainpine.com
Fri Jun 27 07:22:09 HKT 2014

On 06/11/2014 05:23 PM, Mark Webb-Johnson wrote:
> I think the 'tmc' server is hard-coded in the Android App.
>
> The code on github is up-to-date, if anyone wants to take a stab at making it configurable.

I spent a few days getting acquainted with Android development and
toying with the OVMS Android app code, loading it onto the Android
emulator, etc.

I couldn't decide where was the best place was to put an "app settings"
menu item, and so I caved and downloaded OVMS from the App Store onto my
iPad...

> The iOS App has it in the system settings tab.

I don't see it.  Is this in unreleased/unpublished code?

There is the "OVMS Server IP" in the "Parameters" section of the
"Control" menu for each configured car.  However, I believe that refers
to the server IP configured in the car module and not for the app.  AND
this same section and menu exist on the Android app (after waiting
long-enough for it to populate... or getting lucky... I can't figure out
which since it often doesn't populate at all).

Since for each car the app needs to talk to the same server as the car
module it would be ideal for changes made to this "OVMS Server IP" in
the "Parameters" section to apply to both the IP where the module
communicates *AND* to where the app communicates for that car, but since
this "Parameters" section doesn't even come up at all until the app can
talk to the server and module, I don't think that's how it works,
presently, and it would appear to need a lot of effort to get it working
in that fashion.

It would be nice if I could have different car modules talking to
different servers and for me to be able to use one app to rule them
all.  The app would merely talk to different servers for each car.

Anyway... since my initial interest is in doing server-side and
car-module-side developments (and not so much the app-side of things)
I'm inclined to just make a hard-coded change to the server IP address
in my Android app and move on for the sake of being productive.

Thanks,

Lee.

--
*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Chief Technology Officer*