[Ovmsdev] Building with free C18 compiler

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Jun 19 09:44:07 HKT 2014

The issue with building under windows is that the C compiler Microchip gives for free used to do medium-optimisation under windows, with high-optimisation a cost option. Then, they switched (silently, without any fanfare) to no-optimisation for the windows compiler. Both the Linux and OSX compiler continue with medium-optimisation. Without optimisation, the code won't fit into available flash space. They sell a commercial version of the C18 compiler for about US$500. Almost enough to drive one to ARM... I have heard rumours of people typing 'microchip c18 hack' into google.

Regards, Mark.