[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3

Mastro Gippo gipmad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 17:50:17 HKT 2014

It's interesting to see that we're moving to a linux solution, but it's a
bit scary at the same time. While a linux box would allow us to get the
basic setup running somewhat quickly, it takes a lot more time, effort and
deep knowlege to make the system really safe and sound.
I also am a bit scared about the power drain, as low power modes in these
machines look quite harder to implement/achieve, but I'm not an expert so I
wouldn't know. I found this: http://www.armdevs.com/WiFiG25.html
Linux, wifi, SD card onboard makes it ideal for OVMS, a microchip SPI-CAN
converter or a dedicated small MCU would complement it.

OR, maybe the best route would be to contact some phone designer in
Shenzhen? I purchased a nice dual sim, 4.5 inch screen, 3G, wifi, BT,
SDcard, 2 cameras + flash, glass touchscreen, 2 batteries, (no GPS, lol)
android device for 270 kuai (~40$) when I was in SZ in April, there MUST be
a small dev board with all we need based on an MTK chipset... Then we just
add a micro for CAN -> whatever and we're set. The fact that android
handles the modem by itself, and it's quite good at it as it consumes very
small power even while receiving notifications from the network makes a
device like that ideal for the development of something very worthwile with
the smallest effort. It would make handling updates incredibly easy too.
The fact that this possibility is SO NEAR, but at the same time EXTREMELY
FAR, is making me crazy. I love to hate China.
Mark, can you cross the border and ask around for MTK boards? :)

MG