[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Tue Jun 17 13:20:20 HKT 2014

I think it's incredibly valuable to keep the $100 price point.

It seems to me that the hard part of adding support for other vehicles is
figuring out the CAN bus codes. That's ideally done with hardware
optimized for that task, which is probably not the OVMS device. There's so
much framework already in place that once you know how to read values and
issue commands, getting that into OVMS isn't that hard.

Making OVMS more expensive to better serve the developer community will
make it a harder buying decision for end users. Hopefully, we'll
eventually have thousands of users for every developer.

It would, of course, be an improvement to make firmware updates easier for
end users, that is an important issue.

I would like to see some sort of display, either on the box or remote, so
I can see SOC in the car without using a phone.

   Tom