[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Tue Jun 17 04:22:35 HKT 2014

Twizy users don't need locking / pre-heating etc., the controller
parameter tuning is the currently most important Twizy OVMS feature (not
available on other cars up to now).

Twizy user feedback:

The current OVMS is far too complex for normal people.

GSM is good as an option, but bad as a requirement. Needing to buy and
insert a SIM card is already too much for many. GSM reliability and
availability also is an issue for serious telemetry. The most simple
logging setup should work with just an SD / USB memory stick, readable
on any PC.

An OVMS v3 core version should be able to work with just a local Wifi /
Bluetooth / USB connection. That could mean the GSM/GPS module becomes
an extension module.

An optional separate display console could make it possible to use the
OVMS even without a smartphone / laptop.

Software updates need to be possible without unmounting the OVMS, the
PICkit flash procedure is way too much for ordinary users.

Average power consumption needs to be lower than now by a factor of ~10,
it's bad needing to remember unplugging the OVMS if you leave for a week.

OVMS v3 also needs an ECE approval so it can be sold legally in Europe.
Price may be higher than now then, by about 50-100%.

Linux would be great and would open the path to a broad user community,
but I doubt that can be combined with the low power usage and pricing
requirements... although, the Samsung NX300 shows it's already been done
-- I have no idea about their hardware base though.

--
Michael Balzer * Paradestr. 8 * D-42107 Wuppertal