[Ovmsdev] server documentation discrepancies

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed Jul 2 13:19:55 HKT 2014

Lee,

I've updated the README to be more up-to-date. The UDP comments (and protocol description) were several years out of date. Documentation on the server is, as you say, very limited.

The protocol document (in 'docs' directory) is up-to-date and describes the protocol well. I know of a few people who have worked off that (and the app/script examples) to build their own clients.

The perl scripts other than ovms_server.pl are really just one-offs used for development and testing - you do not need them at all.

If you want to deploy an OVMS server, you will need the ovms_server.pl script, the ovms_server.conf configuration file suitably configured, the ovms_server.sql database tables in a mysql database, and optionally the *.vece files (to convert error code to messages for different vehicle types). It is simplest to run the server either on a mac or linux box (Windows might be possible, but would most likely be a nightmare). There are a large number of perl requirements (see the 'use' statements at the top of ovms_server.pl) - these can be installed as packages or directly via cpan. If anything is missing, when you run ovms_server.pl, perl will complain and abort until you get it right.

From a database point of view, you just need to insert a record into ovms_cars for each vehicle. The record references an owner, which is in the ovms_owners table. The important, and non-obvious, fields have a comment in the SQL schema provided. The other tables are populated by the ovms_server.pl code, based on vehicle/app interactions, so you can ignore them.

Hope the above helps, and if you have any questions please ask.

Regards, Mark.