[Ovmsdev] EMC / CE certificate + Fasttech SimpleConsole?

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Feb 17 20:19:32 HKT 2014

Regarding EMC CE: We’ve spent a lot of time ensuring we follow the standards as close as possible, and use individual certified modules, but bottom line is that currently the unit is a hobbyist kit and doesn’t have CE certificate. For individual hobbyist use that is fine, but it does mean it can’t be re-sold as a complete end-user unit within the EU. Because of the active transmitter module (GMS modem) in the unit, getting formal CE certificate would be extremely expensive and just not possible at the quantities we are currently talking about. We have been working with the China guys to see if there is a way around this, and there might be one way which is to use plug-in modules for the active units. Those modules are already CE certified, so then we would only need to certify the non-transmitting base module. As an aside, we are most likely going to have to go down that path anyway, as 2G is getting old and the 3G standards mean we are going to have to use different modules for different countries. At least that is how it has been explained to me.

Regarding the SimpleConsole, I think it really comes down to quantity. It is very easy to make, but we would need to commit to at least 100 units for a production run.

Regards, Mark.