[Ovmsdev] i-Miev/C-Zero/iOn

Matt Beard matt at beard.tv
Fri Oct 18 17:08:27 HKT 2013

OK, I've done a bit more testing and it looks promising.

What I have found is the following:

Charger Temperature
I spotted a value in byte 3 of PID 286 that rises gradually during
charging, then falls slowly afterwards. It seems likely this is charger
temperature of some kind. This seems to settle at about 40 higher than the
current outdoor temperature in Celsius. It seems odd to be having a
different offset to the battery temperature values, but the outside air
temperature here is 9.7C and the PID 286 value is 50 with battery sensor
average value 65. This would mean the charger is almost exactly ambient and
the batteries 5C higher.  I have added this as PEM temp.

Motor Temperature
I found that PID 298, which has the suspected motor RPM, has a set of 4
values in a similar range to the possible charger temperature reading.
These seem to rise while driving, the forth of them (byte 3) rises fastest
and highest. I suspect that these are intimately linked to the motor,
either a direct motor temperature, or the motor drive electronics. Again,
they settle to about 40 above ambient in C when not in use.  I have added
this as motor temp.

I have found that the charger temperature rises a little while driving, and
the motor temperature possibly a tad while charging (but not much). This
could simply be because the two are physically close, or the charger could
be involved in regenerative braking.

Rapid/quick charge detection.
During RC the bus has PID 346 messages, but the range in byte 7 is 255
rather than a valid estimated range. I have seen logs showing 255 for a few
samples at startup, so maybe we need to add a test for this 255 being
stable for more than a second or two. Of course the problem now is that we
have lost the predicted range. We have "ideal" range, but that is a bit of
a chocolate teapot as you are never going to get that range and it is not
correctly calculated in my opinion (due to unusable SOC at the bottom of
the battery).

I have studied some of my charging records and it seems that the predicted
range hits 0 at about 10% SOC, and it is roughly linear to 100% from there.
The slope of the line depends on the recent driving style. I have used this
to code a replacement "guess-o-meter" for use during rapid charge. The way
it works is as follows: I constantly record valid SOC and est_range until
either of them gets too low to be reliable (20% SOC or 5 range) - this
gives me an indication of the slope that should be used for the line.
During RC I calculate est_range = (SOC-10%) * Slope,  where Slope =
(Old_Range / (Old_SOC-10%)). This works, but I have only tried one RC with
this code and the ranges it gave me were a bit higher than I expected. This
might need some debugging.

I have attached the revised code. You will see that I have also optimised
the PID filtering a bit to try and reduce load while still capturing the
increased number of PIDs we are now monitoring. I wonder how easy it is to
check how close we are to running out of CPU capacity in the read code.

Matt Beard