[Ovmsdev] Request for Comments - Charge Bay Alert

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed Nov 20 09:35:59 HKT 2013

Tom, Paul,

My feedback on vehicle license plate number vs some other identifier is that I prefer a different 'member' identifier. Regardless of the re-use of license plate numbers (seriously, USA, ?!?) and of one vehicle having many plate numbers (up to 3 here in Hong Kong), if we are identifying the user of a charging bay, I think it is better to identify the user rather than his vehicle (in particular if SMS is used as that is tied to a particular cellphone, not the car). That would better deal with issues like an owner with multiple cars, or multiple drivers of a particular car.

I do like the idea of a sticker with QR code as well as human readable text.

Regarding paying for SMS, I had a similar issue with paying for SMS provisioning for OVMS. The experiment I tried is that I would myself pay for all the bulk SMS messages, but put up a little 'donate' paypal button next to the part of the site that handled SMS provisioning. The result - somewhere around 1 in 10 users donate, but that is easily enough to pay for the SMS. It would not be enough to pay for hosting. At the moment, that is donated by TMC, but I suspect it would be possible to get users to contribute directly to that if necessary.

Bigger-picture, though, the problem is one of the critical level of adoption. Unless both owners use the same system, it is not going to work. I do like Paul's idea to address that - so long as the charging owner subscribes to the system, the wanting-to-charge owner has a strong incentive to sign-up there and then.

As a side-note, this goes beyond charger-sharing conventions. In Hong Kong, where I live, I often park in village car park spots for a few minutes to pickup one of my kids. I may be in someone else's car park spot when they return and want to park (they are kind of reserved for different houses, but there are no signs, and it is all very unofficial). The convention here is to leave your cellphone number in the window - but a general way of 'contact the owner' would also be a wonderful solution without the privacy concerns.

From an OVMS point of view, we have started with Open Charge Map integration. The short-term goal is to just get the charging stations into the Apps. The longer-term goal is to have a bi-directional automated feedback mechanism (opt-in) to feedback charge station occupancy as well as charge success/failure events to OCM.

The other thing to think about is that we have already moved to make the OVMS module vehicle-independent via the virtual vehicle model. Today, we've got support for Tesla Roadsters, Renault Twizys, iMievs, C-Zeros, Volts, Amperas, Think Citys, Leafs and generic OBDII (did I miss any?) - with more coming. What if the Apps could support the same virtual vehicle model with plug-in providers (of which the OVMS protocol is just one)? So one app could talk to OVMS servers, or carwings, or onstar, etc. That would greatly improve the number of vehicle telematics and users supportable by one system.

Regards, Mark.