[Ovmsdev] 1.3.8

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Oct 8 21:27:02 HKT 2012

I've built firmwares and committed to github for car firmware 1.3.8. Changes include:

2012-10-07 1.3.8       Firmware 1.3.8 - getting close to the 1.5.1 release
                       #92 Try TCP reconnect, rather than full GPRS re-init, if server connection fails
                       #82 Car: Adaptive Reporting

2012-10-01 1.3.6       Firmware 1.3.6
                       #90 AP via SMS
                       #89 Report GSM operator
                       #86 Get ICCID from SIM during startup
                       #82 Adaptive Reporting
                       #84 Detect lack of comms between PIC and modem
                       #80 Make GSMLOCK use short service name

2012-09-14 1.3.5       Firmware 1.3.5
                       #79 SMS/PUSH notify if alarm is activated
                       #78 can_poll0 100 vs 102 check

2012-09-12 1.3.3       Firmware 1.3.3
                       #77 Option for GSM Network selection
                       #74 Car: SETUP (DIAG)  mode for firmware
                       #76 SMS HELP command
                       #75 Car: Basic (stub only) Renault Twizy Support
                       #71 Car: Send line voltage level back to server
                       #70 Car: Send hardware version along with firmware version
                       ### Make QC config use TMC server

2012-09-02 1.3.1       Firmware 1.3.1
                       The following issues have been addressed (since 1.2.9):

                       Tidy-up for charge notifications
                       #57 Car: Motor temperature overflow
                       #58 Car: Strange range when low on power
                       #69 Wakeup temperature subsystem when car is woken up

The biggest changes are issues #92 and #82 regarding reducing the GPRS data usage. In tests so far, the v1.3.6 (which made about half the optimisations planned) reduced this to about 1/3rd of previous levels, and v1.3.8 (which completes it) should bring this down even further. I'm hoping for around 10KB/day average, but it really depends on how much you drive, charge and use the apps. See the screen-shot chart below for details (I put in v1.3.6 around 1st October, and v1.3.8 just today 8th October).

The reported bug regarding module rebooting (and hence losing the experimental speedo feature) appears to have been fixed for me. This version does try to recover the TCP/IP connection to the server without a GPRS restart (which is costly as mobile providers round up their data usage), and hopefully that is still reliable.

This version also includes a new SMS provisioning method (issue #90). This allows a single SMS message to provide the module password (for authentication) and all parameters to be set in the module. I've been working on a website form that will allow you to enter these values (with appropriate defaults and online help) then use a bulk sms service to provision the module with just one low-cost SMS message that works internationally. It is looking to be a very simple way of configuring the module - the only drawback being Open Vehicles has to pay for the SMS charges (but we'll live with that, given the simplicity, and hope for the occasional donation to cover it).

As always, I'd be grateful for help testing this in cars.