[Ovmsdev] OVMS Hardware v2.0

William Petefish william.petefish at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 20:11:33 HKT 2012

>From what scott has said, it runs an embedded linux kernel. The Tattler,
again going from what has been said in the past, is using off-the shelf
hardware with a custom cable for interfacing with the car. (I'd bet it is a
geode w/ serial to CAN and a USB GPRS modem.) Pictures from forum
here<http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5055-New-cell-phone-app-Tesla-Tattler-works-on-all-cell-phones/page9>
.

There is one major advantage that the mbed has over other MCUs. Upgrading
FW becomes as easy as using a flash drive. The mbed is based on an ARM
Cortex-M3 (LPC1768). So, it could run linux. For what it's worth, it would
be easy enough to whip up a board to go between the mbed and the simcom
board that is in current use. That board could house the CAN transceivers
as well.

Here <http://mbed.org/handbook/mbed-NXP-LPC1768> is the mbed HW reference.

William