[Ovmsdev] Hi everyone

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Jun 1 22:57:34 HKT 2012

David,

I, and others, have also had success with CANUSB (http://www.canusb.com/), but that is more expensive that the ElmScan 5 approach.

I originally used a cando (http://www.cananalyser.co.uk/) which is similar but windows-only.

These are both CAN tools (not ODBII, but ODBII builds on CAN for modern cars).

If you want to do anything custom, the CANUSB is pretty cool. It appears to the operating system as just a USB serial port, with textual protocol, so i easy to script from in Windows, Linux or Mac OSX.

The ElmScan 5 is also possible if you just want ODBII, but note that the Tesla DIAG port is raw CAN not ODBII.

I'm working on a project called CAN-RE-Tool that supports the CANUSB. It is designed for reverse engineering can buses. Getting real close to a first pre-alpha release, as I know Michael is waiting on it...

Regards, Mark.