[Ovmsdev] Hi everyone

R. Scott Perry spamfree4 at rscott.org
Fri Jun 1 21:52:28 HKT 2012

Hi David,

There are a number of different cables that should work.

I use the ElmScan 5 (at Amazon, it is under US$30).  The OBDLink SX
(~US$50) is another good choice.

The ElmScan 5 uses the ELM327 chipset, which cannot handle a connection
to the computer higher than 500kbps, which sometimes causes a small
amount of data to be lost.  Also, the ELM327 chipset has an issue where
it sometimes does not record all the data (if the first byte of data is
between 1 and 8, it only includes that number of bytes of data, even if
there is more).  I believe the OBDLink SX (which uses a different chip
that is compatible with the ELM327) doesn't have those issues.

If you are planning to do more with the ODB2 port, there are lots of
other options (e.g. ones that display data on a screen for you).
                       -Scott