[Ovmsdev] P/R 859 - Moving polling to separate thread & More polling ideas

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Tue Apr 4 07:13:43 HKT 2023

Hi all,
I was after some feedback on
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pull/859
which moves the ISOTP polling into what is currently the ISOTP response
thread.

This is part of a larger rework I have been doing to add flexibility to the
loop and to move the poll-loop operations behind a clean interface.

I'm interested in feedback on the mechanism in the p/r directly, but I'm
also happy to provide the usage examples I have (which would be the
follow-up commits for Ioniq 5).

I'm also interested in other people's thoughts on where they see what
improvements might be had to the poll-list mechanism.
Already Done:
  * Clean up the blocking poll mechanism
  * Allow for multiple concurrent poll lists (still executed sequentially)
  * Add once-off non-blocking poll mechanism
  * Add a poll-list that allows repeating more-frequently than the primary
poll

Ideas:
  * Add a user-configurable poller that could possibly utilise the DBC
framework (on top of the existing vehicle framework) to allow
exploring/experimenting with both passive data as well as polled data.
(Given that the DBC framework already does the heavy lifting of
interpreting data - adding a poll request to that seems to be a nice way of
going)
  * ??? Have a poll thread per bus ???

//.ichael