[Ovmsdev] DBC : proposal fix for negative integer numbers having wrong values

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Sat Oct 22 21:49:45 HKT 2022

The other benefit of templating rather than macros is that macros will
insert the code as it is in the parameter, potentially causing some
unnecessary execution of code, or unwanted side effects, where as with a
template function, you still get the benefit of code expansion, but the
parameters are evaluated and then used in the inline expanded function.

I could possibly have made this a little better.. but it wouldn't have
changed the code generation much.
Ahh.. so in my use case, the sign-bin is templated (fixed at compile time),
which would mean that all that shifting arithmetic gets done at
compile-time... but in your case, we would need to have it as a parameter.

/** Sign extend an unsigned to a signed integer of the same size.
 */
template<typename UINT, typename INT>
INT sign_extend( UINT uvalue, uint8_t signbit)
{
  typedef typename std::make_unsigned<INT>::type uint_t;
  uint_t newuvalue = uvalue;
  if ( newuvalue & ( UINT(1U) << signbit)) ) {
    newuvalue |= ~((uint_t(1U) << signbit)) - 1);
  }
  return reinterpret_cast<INT &>(uvalue);
}

It would be possible to have both define and use the one that suits!
then the code would become:

if (m_value_type == DBC_VALUETYPE_UNSIGNED)
    result.Cast((uint32_t)val, DBC_NUMBER_INTEGER_UNSIGNED);
  else
    {
    int32_t iVal = sign_extend<uint32_t, int32_t>((uint32_t)val,
m_signal_size-1);
    result.Cast(static_cast<uint32_t>(iVal), DBC_NUMBER_INTEGER_SIGNED);
    }

in the sign_extend parameters, it is designed to be able to have the
unsigned and signed types as different sizes.
For example
sign_extend<uint8_t, int64_t>(val, signbit);
This would sign-extend the 8bit unsigned input into 64 bit signed.

YOu can use your old code.. but be aware that (m_signal_size-1) would be
copied  out ,and evaluated twice! Rather than evaluated once.

//.ichael