[Ovmsdev] IOS app reported GSM signal strength

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Mon Oct 17 09:15:17 HKT 2022

[Reviving a thread I started last year...]

On 2/15/21 17:03, Mark Webb-Johnson wrote:
> It is reporting the GSM signal level from the protocol v2 car firmware message ‘F’.
>
> OVMS v3 will provide the wifi signal level in that field, should networking be over wifi at that time.
>
> Probably better to label it ’Signal’ rather than ‘GSM’.
>
> Regards, Mark.
>
>> On 16 Feb 2021, at 7:35 AM, Craig Leres <leres at xse.com> wrote:
>>

>> I've noticed for awhile but never asked the question; why does the IOS app report wifi signal strength when I'm connected to wifi as gsm signal strength? I would expect gsm to always be gsm and maybe wifi would also be shown (and identified as such) when present. Note that I run my modules in wifi client-only mode.

I still don't understand the dBm value reported by the iphone app. For
my dev module (sitting on a desk in a spare bedroom), gsm is reported
(via the cellular command) as -87, wifi saw -17.4 (it's 2m from the AP).
But the app says -113 dBm! It's way off... (New screen grabs attached.)

		Craig