[Ovmsdev] HUD Connected to OVMS not working

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Sat Oct 15 07:15:49 HKT 2022

Hi all,
Anybody got any experience with HUDs?

I bought this simple HUD from FastTech:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/9686283
When connected direct to the OBDII port, it powers on and seems to
function. When I connect it to the OVMS module with the standard
https://www.fasttech.com/products/9652027  the HUD doesn't even power on.

It's stated draw is 200ma which afaict should be fine.  I'm pretty sure the
12V power is getting to PIN 16... though I will try again to make sure. I
only have a crappy little Multimeter.

On the Troubleshooting it states:
   "HUD only available for cars with OBD2 and EU-OBD agreements ... HUD
Products don't support JOBD and OBDI protocol."

The OBD HUD connector has the following pins:

4* Chassis

5* Signal Ground

6 CAN High

7 *ISO9141 K Line*

14 CAN Low

15 *ISO9141 L Line*

16 Vehicle Battery +ve

* Long pins

These are the standard OVMS supplied pins:

4 Chassis Ground

5 Chassis Ground

6 CAN H (Primary)

14 CAN L (Primary)

16 +12V

So obviously the main difference is the lack of K / L lines in the OVMS ...
but I wouldn't have thought that would have prevented it from powering up.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

//.ichael