[Ovmsdev] Automatic naming of CAN log files

Ludovic LANGE ll-ovmsdev at lange.nom.fr
Thu Nov 10 06:45:55 HKT 2022

I do agree with you, and I do the same on any system which has a
battery-backed RTC and a persistent network connexion (taking care also
of timezone issues)...

However, I'm afraid that after a module reboot it may take a few seconds
to retrieve a correct time.

Also, when running without GPS, without network and without modem (which
seems a supported, even if unusual, configuration), it seems that I'll
never have a correct time at all.

In both cases, the module will always start with Unix epoch
(1970-01-01-00:00:00) for at least a few seconds, and so risk the risk
to overwrite log files do exist (as the log starts as soon as possible).

Of course, I'm running in that configuration (no modem, very often
without Wifi, GPS not always having time) otherwise it would not be

So that's why I wanted to be independent of time.

But it would not be complex to support both syntaxes, to offer this choice.

Ludovic