[Ovmsdev] Implementing advanced charge control

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Tue Jan 26 14:52:08 HKT 2021

OK, here's a more specific question.  To implement 'charge at <time>'
I need to store the pending charge operation somewhere so that it can
be examined on a ticker to see if the scheduled time has arrived.  I
presume the appropriate place is within the OvmsVehicle.  Would that
be considered in conflict with any of the state stored there now?  Any
specific recommendations for where it should go or what form it should
take?

Some vehicles have a charge timer function built in, and some allow
OVMS to set that timer.  So you might say that for those vehicles the
'charge at <time>' function should just set that timer.  However, that
timer is often a persistent setting in the vehicle, so taking it for a
one-time charge event may be inappropriate.  Mark also expressed a
concern that for the Tesla Roadster setting the timer causes the flash
in the VMS to be updated, so flash wear could be a concern.

                                                        -- Steve