[Ovmsdev] External Wifi antenna

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Sun Jan 24 05:54:59 HKT 2021

On 1/23/21 10:25 AM, Michael Balzer wrote:
> that's a very tempting option indeed, if compatible. I'm having no
> issues with Wifi, but the ESP32 V3 is very attractive (no more PSRAM
> issues…).

I have an arduino project that polls buttons and can send ir codes,
update mqtt, and post json to a rest api https server. It also has mono
and color displays. It uses the "comet protocol" to keep the data on the
display current so it always has a http transaction open. I was having
trouble with random hangs and upgrading to esp32-devkit V3 modules has
almost completely eliminated this problem.

> I don't have the equipment to desolder the module though… or any
> experience with that.

I have a little! I got a quick 861DW and successfully swapped a SIM7600A
onto a ovms modem board. That is, I can talk to it but haven't done any
work on adding support for it. (Like many of us, I have way too many
projects in progress...) I also swapped a CP2102 (tiny little bugger).

Something I wasn't expecting is that the quick is an excellent tool for
heating heat shrink! Gone are the days of using a lighter (and leaving
charcoal marks on the tubing).

I think swapping the wroom module will actually be easier than the
simcom, it has fewer pins. On the other hand it looks like I would have
to remove one or both of the sma jacks and I know from experience that
is not easy, they have a lot of thermal mass. I think I'll order a
module and see if I can manage to remove the module with them in place,
hopefully I can hold them out of the way (and protect the cables from
heat, I have plenty of kynar tape).

		Craig