[Ovmsdev] OVMS going comatose

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sat Apr 24 17:36:45 HKT 2021

Steve,

in the two weeks since disabling TLS on the server V2 connection I
haven't had a single crash. While that's not a proof yet the watchdog
issue is TLS related, it's at least a strong indicator.

The watchdog triggers if the idle task on a core doesn't get a CPU share
for 120 seconds. If the TLS functions block a CPU for more than a few
seconds, that's already pretty bad, as that means TLS will cause delays
in CAN processing (disrupting protocol transfers) and can possibly cause
frame drops and queue overflows. Blocking the whole system for more than
120 seconds is totally unacceptable.

This doesn't feel like a calculation / math performance issue, it rather
feels like a bug – and that may imply a security issue as well.

But I don't think this is caused by WolfSSL, as the issue has been
present with mbedTLS as well, just didn't occur that frequently. Maybe
some race condition with the LwIP task?