[Ovmsdev] Gas vs. battery metric?

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Jun 15 15:56:46 HKT 2020

Hmmm...

It is hard to decouple ‘open’ from ‘free’, particularly given the roots of the open source movement. But at it’s core is the concept of openness and freedom in that I (or we) should not be telling anyone what they can or cannot do with this project. The user is free to do with it what they will, and our license explicitly states that.

So, given that we cannot control what is done with the project, or what type of vehicle it is used in, the decision is whether we allow the ‘v.b’ battery namespace to be ’trampled on’ with ICE metrics? I think that the suggested v.ice namespace is a reasonable compromise.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. My personal opinion is that I drive electric cars, prefer them, and advocate for them every day. I even co-founded a charity here in HK to support and promote them.