[Ovmsdev] Gas vs. battery metric?

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon Jun 15 02:46:01 HKT 2020

Craig,

I strictly vote against re-interpretation of the SOC metric. Where
metrics have clear semantics we should not make them dependent on some
context.

A battery is not a fuel tank, and vehicles may have both. "v.b." is the
namespace "vehicle battery" and shall not be populated with non-battery
metrics.

That's what I meant by adding technology specific metrics: if the
vehicle has a fuel tank, additional standard metrics describing that
fuel tank shall be present.

Fuel tank specific metrics might e.g. get the namespace "v.ft.", ICE
engine specific metrics might get "v.ice.", fuel cell metrics "v.fc.",
rocket thruster metrics "v.rt." … you get the idea.

Make a proposition for the metrics sets you need. Try to define them as
generalized as possible.

That will probably include duplicates of some metrics, like the ranges &
consumption. That's necessary to be able to describe a hybrid, and some
units among those will also need to be different (e.g. consumption in
litres / m³ per km).