[Ovmsdev] Wifi setup

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Fri Jul 10 14:57:40 HKT 2020

TL;DR: yes, I'm currently also going towards not letting
esp_wifi_connect() decide which AP to connect to.

More precisely, exactly the first (!) call to esp_wifi_connect() after a
reboot/power up seems to do a round robin scheme among all reachable
access points of a network regardless of their signal strength. This
even applies to the first connect() immediately after a scan.

Example:

D (5034) events: Signal(system.wifi.scan.done)
V (5034) esp32wifi: ScanDone: #01 ssid='WLAN-214677'
bssid='7c:ff:4d:15:2f:86' chan=11 rssi=-64
V (5034) esp32wifi: ScanDone: #02 ssid='WLAN-214677'
bssid='94:4a:0c:c3:9e:63' chan=11 rssi=-77
I (5044) esp32wifi: Found SSID WLAN-214677 - trying to connect
I (7564) esp32wifi: STA connected with SSID: WLAN-214677, BSSID:
94:4a:0c:c3:9e:63, Channel: 11, Auth: WPA2

The next reboot will connect to 7c:ff (despite unchanged signal
strengths), the next again to 94:4a and so on. I've only got two access
points, so I can't test if it's really round-robin, but it's wrong anyway.

On all following reconnects on the running system it will correctly pick
the 7c:ff AP, also if wifi is stopped & restarted.

This AP switching behaviour also persists powering off the module, so
the wifi blob seems to do this on purpose and even use some persistent
storage to implement it. Totally undocumented and I've found no way to
disable this and no workaround so far.

There may be a fix for this in the current esp-idf wifi blob, but I've
found no issues on this, and esp-idf commit comments are mostly not useful.