[Ovmsdev] Plugin Repository

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Tue Jul 14 19:45:55 HKT 2020

Mark,

full ack, has been on my list as well. I'll handle the web UI side.

I don't think we need to migrate/change the folder structure, we should
be able to just add the meta data. I tried to define the structure to be
usable as a public repository. Did I miss something?

Btw, I used the naming "module" plugins instead of "script" plugins, as
web plugins also consist mostly of scripts. I thought that would clear
things for users, but I'm not sure now.

Regarding the plugin structure and meta data, we should decide wether to
split plugins into their elements or keep them bundled. You seem to opt
for bundles ("web subdirectory"). I would second that, but we then need
to take into account a plugin may consist of multiple module and/or web
plugins (see Edimax plugin for an example). Normally it's just one
module plugin, but we should not restrict the system in that way. So the
JSON file should allow to define an array of plugin elements / options.

Currently there's a version on each element, and but we could/should
simplify this to a central overall version for the plugin.

To automatically install plugins, the meta data also needs to define the
types and default setups for web/frontend plugins.

Draft: edimax.json:

{
  name: "edimax",
  title: "Edimax: Smart Plug Control",
et al",
  group: "Home Automation",
  info: "https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/plugin/edimax/README.html",
  maintainer: "Michael Balzer <dexter at dexters-web.de>",
  version: "2.1",
  prerequisites: ["ovms>=3.2.010"],
  elements: [{
    type: "script",
    path: "edimax.js",
    name: "edimax" // optional, defaults to plugin name
  },{
    type: "webpage",
    path: "edimax.htm",
    page: "/usr/edimax",
    label: "Edimax Smart Plug",
    menu: "Config",
    auth: "Cookie"
  },{
    type: "webhook",
    path: "edimax-status.htm",
    page: "/status",
    hook: "body.post"
  }]
}

A method to easily disable/enable installed plugins would also be nice,
i.e. as subcommands "plugin disable" / "plugin enable".