[Ovmsdev] Anyone using HTTP API?

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Feb 28 15:47:02 HKT 2020

The new framework is running now on my development bench, and seems good. It was a major re-structuring, so I’ve upped the version to 3.0 (particularly as this is going to end up connecting to MQTT for HTTP API, database logging, push notifications, authentication, etc). I should finish my testing this weekend, then bring it up on api.openvehicles.com <http://api.openvehicles.com/>. Others should migrate to it with care.

Regarding the authentication, I have almost finished implementing:

An Auth Token facility (with authtokens stored against an associated owner ID).
The HTTP API (using username+password authentication) can be used to issue new tokens, as well as enquire on the tokens already issued.
The HTTP API can be used to enumerate registered vehicles, and otherwise maintain them.
The drupal website extension will be extended to also allow viewing and maintenance of tokens.
An authentication token is:
Owner ID (so zero or more tokens belong to this owner)
Token issued by the server on request (the token itself, unique, and the primary key)
Usage identifier (identifying the car module, app id, etc)
Usage description (a textual description of the usage)
Permissions (a permission string identifying what the token can be used for)
Created date+time
Updated date+time
Requests for a new token are passed the usage identifier and description as parameters, and authenticated by username+password.
If a token already exists for that usage identifier, then the description is simply updated (along with updated date+time) and the token returned.
If no token exists, a random one is created and returned (along with usage identifier, description, created and updated date+times).

An extension to MQTT authentication API to allow authentication either by username+password, or username+authtoken.

An extension to the HTTP API to allow authentication by username+token, in addition to the existing username+password.

An extension to the V2 API to allow authentication by username+password or username+authtoken, in addition to the existing vehicled+serverpassword (crypto scheme 0x31).

An extension to the V2 API to allow for optional automatic registration of new vehicles (a successful login with a non-existent vehicle ID will simply create it with a random server password).

Removed the restriction that vehicle ID should be unique on the server (now just unique for each user).

The preferred approach for a new app/car connection will then be:
The user is interactively asked to select a server and provide his username+password
A usage identifier and description is generated programatically
The HTTP API is used to obtain a token (or recall the token if previously registered)
The username, usage identifier, and token are stored persistently
The username, token, and vehicle ID is used to login using v2 or v3 protocols

So, three complementary authentication mechanisms are provided:
The v2 vehicleid+serverpassword mechanism (with full permissions to access that particular vehicle)
Username+Password mechanism (with full permission to maintain tokens, access all vehicles, and do everything)
Username+Token mechanism (with permissions specified on the token)

Comments welcome, and we can refine the above if necessary, but it is at least a starting point. I am trying to maintain as much flexibility as possible, but at the same time make things easier for the user. I’ve had four support requests so far this week for people messing up either the server they are using (app api.openvehicles, car dexters-web), the vehicle ID, or confusion between all the passwords.

Regards, Mark.