[Ovmsdev] Paranoia

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Feb 24 15:28:15 HKT 2020

Reviewing the OVMS v3 code, I found that v2 protocol paranoid support was not there. Not sure why it was overlooked (perhaps because I hate it both from a crappy encryption, as well as support headache, point of view).

I’ve added it back in today. It shouldn’t affect normal module-server-app connections at all. It has had only cursory testing, but seems to work. It is enabled by ‘config set server.v2 paranoid yes’, and ensuring that the module password is the same in the app and on the module. The default is off.

I suggest to keep this as a command line option, as it really makes support even more of a headache than it already is. If users know what they are doing, they can enable it themselves (and support themselves).

I do notice a bug in the ovms_server.pl code when switching from normal to paranoid; the normal messages are not removed from the database (they should be) - I’ll try to address that in the new server code.