[Ovmsdev] WiFi client not switching to better AP

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Thu Dec 17 06:26:50 HKT 2020

Following up: I see that OvmsNetManager::WifiStaGotIP() calls
WifiStaCheckSQ() at the start of the connection, but it looks like the
radio hasn't fully adapted yet or something.  The signal quality can
be -95.5 -99.2 dBm and sometimes even -127.0 dBm, which looks like an
uninitialized value, even though wifi scan says the RSSI is -60.  (Is
RSSI calibrated to dBm for this system?)

If I stop the looping by "wifi mode off" and "wifi mode client" then I
see a good signal quality -79.3 reported after getting IP, and then if
I do "wifi status" the reported signal quality is -56.0 dBm.  This is
all with my test OVMS v3.0 sitting on my desk.

So would it make sense to introduce some delay here if the signal
quality is not good enough yet?

                                                        -- Steve