[Ovmsdev] USB port fragility

Jarkko Ruoho jarkko.ruoho at iki.fi
Mon Aug 10 13:09:18 HKT 2020

Hi,

USB-C would be good for future proofing.

Another mechanically lasting option would be fixed cable. It's also very
ugly :)

In my experience also shaking could be a problem, if you have the USB-cable
connected. So maybe Micheal's warning should include also a warning against
vehicle usage with USB-cable always connected to the device. Hot glue with
good installation (also cable supported near the connector), should last
there quite well.

I have an electrified lawnmower, where I use Arduino for the blade speed
control. Due to blade imbalance there is more shake than in an electric
car, but micro-USB connectors broke there in less than one hour. Mini-USB
variants lasted longer, but I think that's just a small incremental
improvement. Now it works fine, as I have no cable connected during normal
operation.