[Ovmsdev] Time for 3.2.003? / Issue #241

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Sep 20 09:52:26 HKT 2019

Numerology and pronunciation.

The number 4 (pronounced like ’say’ in cantonese - the dialect we speak in Hong Kong) sounds similar to ‘death’. It is considered unlucky and generally avoided. While you may not have a 13th floor in western cultures, in China the floor numbers in apartment blocks generally go 1, 2, 3, 5, …, 12, 13, 15, …

In contrast, Chinese people love the number 8 (pronounced ‘baat' in cantonese) as it is similar to ‘luck' (pronounced 'faat').

I live in house #8 in my housing estate, which is considered good luck. However, as we don’t have a house #4, I guess my place is really the seventh, and house #9 should be considered the lucky one - but we don’t think too much about that. We do have a house #13.

In cantonese, the one I hate is 14 (pronounced 'sup say'), which sounds almost the same as 'water death'. We can never stop after swimming 14 laps in a pool - always have to stop at 13 or go on to 15.

The Cantonese and Mandarin dialects of Chinese have different pronunciations, but the numbers 4 and 8 are generally treated unlucky and lucky universally out here.

Regards, Mark.