[Ovmsdev] Cannot reset simcom stuck in PoweringOn state without removing module power

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Sat Nov 23 06:12:06 HKT 2019

On 2019-11-22 01:56, Michael Balzer wrote:
> What firmware version do you have on the SIMCOM?

The one that most recently wedged is... wedged again:

     OVMS# simcom cmd AT+CGMR
     ERROR: SIMCOM command channel not available!

But in a new way, the gps is working and the modem is registered with
the network:

     OVMS# simcom
     Network Registration: RegisteredRoaming
     Provider: T-Mobile Hologram
     Signal: -93 dBm

     State: PoweringOn

     PPP: Not connected
          Last Error: User Interrupt

     GPS: Not connected

I guess it got into a funny state when I was driving earlier. Anyway
after rebooting it was still stuck in PoweringOn so I cycled power.

Ok, both of the modules I have in cars are 35316B07SIM5360A. My third
module is the one I swapped simcoms in and is LE11B02SIM7500A (physical
label says 7600A).

I registered with techship.com and have the firmware update tool. But
the only rar files I see look like they're for the European SIM5360?

     https://simcom.ee/documents/?dir=SIM5360

     35316B09SIM5360E.rar
     35316B10SIM5360E.rar
     35316B10SIM5360E_QDL5.1.rar

and I don't see anything for the 7600. I've asked if the US firmware is
available.

What's the path to upgrading simcom firmware? Is it just a matter of
plugging the usb connector on the modem board to my windows 10 laptop? I
can see USB_D- and USB_D+ connections to the simcom, not sure about USB_5V.

Tomorrow I'll try to pull my car modules and determine if the modem
boards have the pullup resistor or not.

One last thing I'm confused about is the pullup resistor on the MEM_EN
line. I don't see it on v3.1 or v3.2 schematics? I tried to complare the
pdfs from github visually and the only difference I see is in the
A0Z1280CI circuit (and I remember Mark saying they added a choke to the
power supply).

		Craig