[Ovmsdev] Home assistant integration

Robin O'Leary ovmsdev at caederus.org
Sun Mar 10 01:23:35 HKT 2019

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 07:57:50AM +0100, Lance Tjessem wrote:
> Curious if anybody has considered making a Home Assistant (
> https://www.home-assistant.io) integration for OVMS?

I looked at doing so a while back when there were on a couple of car
components, which all seemed rather ad-hoc and experimental.  I see
there are many more supported cars now, so maybe the framework is better.
I have been putting off upgrading HA since I'm sure I'll get caught by
one of the many breaking changes, but I've been wanting to try out the
new Lovelace interface, so maybe this provides another incentive.

> Read some values from
> mine just using simple HTTP API requests but it'd be cool to have a proper
> component for it.

I have been doing something similar using MQTT.  It's a simple
shell script that uses the mosquitto-clients command-line tools
(mosquitto_sub/mosquitto_pub) to handle the MQTT layer; it can be
customized with the list of metrics you want published:

	https://ovms.caederus.org/mqtt/

> I'd do it myself, but I'm not really familiar with Python so it would be
> slow going.

Me too.  I wonder if a first step might be to make the existing OVMS
MQTT support more HA-friendly; I think it just needs an option to map
'.' to '_' instead of '/' in topic names, and add a suffix.