[Ovmsdev] 3G network

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at openvehicles.com
Fri Jun 21 19:23:16 HKT 2019

Craig,

Our modem design was loosely based on some suggestions from SIMCOM. Like:

https://simcom.ee/documents/SIM7100E/SIM7100_SIM5360_SIM800C%20Compatible%20Design_V1.01.pdf <https://simcom.ee/documents/SIM7100E/SIM7100_SIM5360_SIM800C%20Compatible%20Design_V1.01.pdf>

I did get a SIM7100 module a year or two ago, and did some basic testing with it, but cost was just too high at that time. I will ask again to see where we are today. A quick check on aliexpress shows the SIM7100E at US$50 per module, and SIM5360E at US$20, in quantities of 1.

My main concern is software support. On paper, the SIM7100 looks compatible, and the AT commands very close. But the same was true of the SIM7000 I tried, and that was a mess - it seems the first firmware didn’t even support the MUX mode we rely on.

Given all the passive components required, it is probably easiest to just use a SIM5360 board, unsolder the modem module and replace it, then add / move that one antenna. To get my china contacts to make 3 one off boards is probably about the same price. In general, it is easy to get 1 or 1,000, but quantities in between are the issue.

Regards, Mark.