[Ovmsdev] New can logging

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Jul 29 16:23:53 HKT 2019

Craig,

We don’t really have a good solution for this, and to me the c++ classes are very lacking. It seems simple to want to sprintf to a std::string in an efficient manner, but there is no such functionality. The output string buffer we use works ok (although imho more cumbersome than sprintf), but is a huge overhead.

For can logging, I was trying to keep things as lightweight and efficient as possible. We would like to be able to process thousands of messages a second, so every bit of optimisation helps here. The current crtd implementation was just a simple port of what we had before, and definitely needs improvements. For example, using sprintf for those data byte output in hex is simple but slow. It would much faster to have a lookup table of 0->15 mapping to 0-9,a-f, and index that with number / 16, number % 16 (or number >> 4, and number & 0x0f).

I have made a change to the canformat_crtd to use snprintf (rather than sprintf) in most places - just the data byte sprintf left in two places. But the issue is bigger - 995 results in 141 files when searching the project for ’sprintf’ (most not in our code, but in third party libraries). If someone has the time to review and improve where appropriate, I would be happy to accept. But we need to be very careful when this is changed to ensure the change doesn’t break something. No regression testing, so any impact might be hard to find.

Regards, Mark.