[Ovmsdev] Roadster cooldown again

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Thu Aug 22 04:06:54 HKT 2019

A week or two ago I ran cooldown on the Roadster with the templimit
set to 30.  The battery temp was brought down to 31 but not 30, so I
decided to restore the templimit to the default 31.

Then today the coolant pump was running again, even though the battery
was at 52% SOC and cooler ambient temps that the heat spell we were
having.  So I decided to try cooldown again, but got "Error: Could not
start cooldown" because the battery temp was already 31.  So maybe
that default is not low enough even though cooldown may not be able to
push the temp lower.

I changed the limit to 30 again and this time cooldown ran
successfully for 2 minutes to cool the battery to 30 and stop the
pump.

I think it would be helpful to have a more specific message than
"Error: Could not start cooldown".  I see that message is printed in
the vehicle base code where information about the cause of the error
is not available.  Would it be reasonable to additionally log a more
specific message within the vehicle_teslaroadster code to distinguish
the three possible causes of that error message?  If so, I will add
that.

                                                        -- Steve