[Ovmsdev] Roadster cooldown

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Tue Sep 11 08:47:17 HKT 2018

Last evening I returned home from a trip and decided to try the
"charge cooldown" command to cool the battery on my Roadster.  I had
not tried it before, and I think it may not have worked correctly.

I issued the "charge cooldown" command using the shell page of the web
UI.  The response was a line indicating that the cooldown had started,
and I got a notification through server v2 that the car was charging
in Range mode.  But later the status page in the iPhone app indicated
that the car was charging in Standard mode at 32A, which is the full
rate from my EVSE.  Over the course of half an hour the SOC increased
from 42% to 50%, at which point I manually stopped the charge.

I thought the cooldown procedure was supposed to charge in Range mode
at 12A and not significantly add to the battery charge level.  I have
not studied the cooldown code, but after a quick look I see that the
procedure is more complicated than one might expect, stepping through
multiple cycles as needed.

Did I do something incorrectly?  Or do these symptoms indicate that
there might be a problem with the implementation?

While the charge was in progress I blindly tried a "charge status"
command hoping that it would tell me about the progress of cooldown,
but alas that subcommand does not exist.

                                                        -- Steve