[Ovmsdev] HUD Cables

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 03:44:13 HKT 2018

Stephen Casner wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2018, Greg D. wrote:
>
>> Curious why he didn't use the regular OBDII connector under the
>> driver's side dash?  +12v is about the only thing it provides that's
>> useful.  I don't think it's switched off when the car sleeps, but
>> could be wrong there.
> That's exactly it -- the +12V turns off when the car sleeps.  He said
> that was contrary to the ODBII spec, but I don't know whether that is
> correct.  He wanted the camera to be always on.
>
>                                                         -- Steve

Ah, ok.  Yes, OBDII ports are supposed to be always powered, and the
Roadster's port was only put there (as I understand it) because it - the
connector - was required, so I assumed it was also properly powered.

If he wants the dashcam to be continually powered, teeing the diag port,
or finding an upstream source that may be beefier is probably his best
bet.  As Mark notes, the Roadster can be a bit finicky with
modifications to the electrical system.

Greg