[Ovmsdev] OVMS hang/crash

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Tue May 22 06:47:54 HKT 2018

Today I found that the OVMS V3.0 had again become comatose.  Again
when I connected the USB cable to my laptop there was no response.

Does the gdb stub depend upon the USB being connected at the time a
crash occurs?

I didn't like having to disconnect the car cable to power cycle the
module when it gets hung like this, so I implemented an external reset
button by repurposing the red plastic "RESET" button from a recycled
hair dryer GFCI plug.  (This may be a US-only oddity so those of you
who live elsewhere may not have GFCI plugs on hair dryers.)  In the
GFCI the reset button has a shaft that pushes on electrical contacts.
To use it for OVMS I needed to shorten that shaft slightly to match
the distance between the inside of the case and the top of the reset
button and then cut a slot in the OVMS box to fit the oblong shape of
the button.

                                                        -- Steve