[Ovmsdev] New web setup

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon May 14 05:08:57 HKT 2018

Greg,

Am 13.05.2018 um 22:04 schrieb Greg D.:
> Hi Michael,
>
> A couple of comments on the setup screens:
>
> 1.  Step 1/5.  The Module ID suggestion to use the vehicle's license
> plate number may be a bit intimidating to some.  You use "i.e." where I
> think you mean "e.g.".  "I.e." is usually considered to be "in other
> words", as a clarification of a requirement, not a suggestion.  I would
> suggest changing the first sentence text to be "Enter a unique personal
> module/vehicle ID, e.g. vehicle brand or nickname + last 5 digits of
> VIN, or other unique string (max xx characters)."  (Please fill in the
> max length - 20 characters, I think?)
>
> Did we decide that the Module ID can include lower case characters?

I've added the nickname suggestion, the VIN isn't something a normal user will know.

And yes on the lower case characters.

> 2.  If the vehicle ID is used for the Wifi AP name, there should be an
> additional warning that it will be visible to others within wifi range.
> I think this use of the AP name is probably a bad idea, from a security
> perspective.  I don't want to draw attention to my car via WiFi
> beacons!  This really should be a user-entered field; perhaps default of
> "OVMS" + 4 digit random value if you are worried about collisions.

I labeled it module ID because it's primary use is for the module wifi AP. You can enter a different vehicle ID in step 4. Both are user-entered fields.

Regarding the visibility of the AP, that's the way an AP is meant to be. There is no special security issue arising from that (other than running an AP), and
there is no security benefit from hiding the AP. If users are concerned about running an AP, they can choose to disable the AP mode after finishing the wizard.

> 3.  Overall, the help text explaining each step of the process is very
> helpful and well written!  Nicely done.

Thanks, and thanks for the review!