[Ovmsdev] New web setup

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon May 14 04:51:23 HKT 2018

Steve,

Am 13.05.2018 um 20:32 schrieb Stephen Casner:
> This setup wizard is very impressive considering where we were with
> the v1 and v2 modules.  This is like a real product!  :-)

Thanks :)

> Here are a few comments:
>
> Step 1: I would say "e.g. your vehicle license plate number" rather
> than "i.e.".  I understand these to translate to English as "such as"
> versus "that is,".  The vehicle license plate number is just one way
> to choose the ID.  I followed the suggestion in the v2 documentation
> to use "US" plus my USA VIN number.  Also, underscore '_' is allowed
> (gregd mentioned he's using that).

You're right, I've changed that to "e.g.".

We agreed on not allowing the "_" as the ID is also used for the mDNS hostname.

> Step 2: Might the phrase "unrestricted internet access" cause the user
> to incorrectly think an open Wifi network is required?  Granted, the
> next line asks for the Wifi password, but perhaps "unrestricted" is
> not really necessary.

I've changed that to "Please enter a Wifi network that provides access to the internet".

> What happens now?: This screen suggests that the latest firmware will
> be fetched while the user is waiting on this page, but that won't
> happen, right?  Step 3 will come up to select the update server.

Right, I changed the text to "… then tries to contact the OpenVehicles server to check the internet access".

> Also, since we are now talking about two Wifi networks, I suggest to
> be more explicit; change "The access point remains unchanged" to
> something like "The OVMS Wifi access point will continue serving
> network Test1".

Done.

> Step 3: What will happen if the user follows "Alternatively, you may
> simply unplug the module and start again."?  Will the module
> automatically try to update when it boots up?

No, it will return to the form, so you can choose another server or skip the step as necessary.

I've extended the text to:

                "<p>You can simply unplug and restart the module, it will show the update form again so you can choose to"
                " retry, try another server or skip the update.</p>"

> Step 4: If the setup steps have been followed normally, on't we know
> the vehicle ID already at this point?  It is the AP SSID.  It could be
> shown as the default when left empty.

It does so, I just erased the field for the screenshot.

Thanks for the review!